Making your own pesto with basil
Making your own pesto with basil is very easy and quick to prepare. It is a healthy and tasty preparation that can be eaten with simple pasta. But also with mozzarella and tomato or on toast as an appetiser.
Usually, green pesto is made with pine nuts. But I usually use sunflower seeds. These have more flavour and are also less expensive.
It is important to use a nice extra virgin olive oil. This adds to the flavour of the pesto.
- 60 g fresh basil (the leaves and sprigs can be used)
- 60 g Parmesan cheese (in block)
- 60 grams of sunflower seeds
- 1.5 dl extra virgin olive oil"
- a "pinch of salt"
Preparation of 'making your own pesto with basil':
- Cut or break the hard Parmesan cheese into pieces.
- Put the cheese, sunflower seeds and fresh basil (both leaves and sprigs) in the blender.
- Pour in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Blend everything into a smooth pesto.
- Add a little salt to taste.
If you don't have a blender, you can also just make this pesto with a blender.
Make a large portion of pesto. You can store this in the freezer. Then, when you have little time to cook, you can simply defrost a portion and serve with freshly cooked pasta!